Monday, January 31, 2011

Sing a Song...Sing out loud...sing out strong...

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~ Aldous Huxley 

You are the music while the music lasts.  ~ T.S. Eliot 

I have a million favourite songs.

Growing up, I could often be found lying across my bed, ears pressed close to my radio, listening...

The first notes of a special tune would start playing and I would exclaim, "Oh my god! This is my FAVOURITE song!" My mother would always laugh and say, "Karen, EVERY song is your favourite song."

While not entirely true...I DO have a lot of faves.

Music makes me smile. it makes me cry. it takes me back in time. brings up loved ones, old friends, memories, places. Music moves me in ways that little else can...it re-charges my soul, lifts me out of dark places, allows me to wallow in a moment, and wraps me in a soft blanket of song.

Prompt #40: What is your "favourite" song. what feelings does it evoke in you?

2 comments:

Joanne said...

tough to pick a fave - certain ones bring back unique times in my life. I think that's the key - what the music evokes.
One of These Nights - Eagles
More Than a Feeling - Boston
She's Gone - Hall & Oates
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
White Christmas - anybody

kinda corny, but those are the first to come to mind. Now, I'll be spending the rest of the day thinking, "I shoulda written down THAT song, and that one, and..."
darn you, Karen!

Christina Donnelly said...

Once upon a time, while I was still in college, I remarked in public that I loved listening to music. My roommate retorted, "She listens to music with her mouth!" If you can sing along or dance to it, it's guaranteed to be make my favorites list. I'm a promiscuous music lover. Cyndi Lauper or Duffy, Chris Isaak or Leon Russell, Edith Piaf or Etta James, Lonestar or Gerry and the Pacemakers, it's probably on my list. Last week, I was fixated on the 60s British Invasion, the week before that, the soundtrack to Suleyman the Magnificent. This week: Handel at home and, during my walks, my brain's looping "Jump for My Love." Make it stop! Make it stop!