Monday, January 24, 2011

Heat Wave...

33 degrees is warm!

Never thought those words would ever come out of my mouth, but after several weeks of low teens, single digits and negative temperatures, I've discovered the beauty of a 30+ heat wave. 

Now, really, 33 is still cold...but I'm handling this winter briskness with more verve than I would have believed possible. I've ventured out into the elements a few times to shoot the lovely snow-covered landscape and I'm planning to head to the ice skating rink (it's an indoor rink) on Wednesday for my first step on the ice in roughly 15 years.

I've learned that there is a HUGE difference between a wet cold and a dry cold, and I've discovered the true meaning of WIND CHILL FACTOR.

For the girl who grew up in the Southern California desert (it was usually a DRY heat) moving to the Midwest at the end of December was probably a bit on the crazy side. but here I am. powering through. layering. wearing hats and scarves and boots. and actually...surprisingly...embracing winter.

Prompt #39: In what ways have you surprised yourself?

5 comments:

Chynna said...

Have I told you how much I'm lovin' your prompts?

<3

Chynna
www.lilywolfwords.ca
www.the-gift-blog.com
www.seethewhiteelephants.blogspot.com

Renie Burghardt said...

We had 37F this morning, and as the day progressed, we reached 45. A heat wave for sure!

Just a few days ago it we had 5 inches of snow, and 11F. I wanted to just stay in and stay warm, but finally ventured out to feed the birds. Took my camera along. Some deer came out of the woods and stood watching me. I took their picture. Wild turkeys came out of the woods as well, and I took their picture. I kept snapping pictures of the pond, and of the snow clad trees, and forgot the cold. The pictures turned out beautiful, and I enjoyed a cup of hot coffee with some squirts of reddi whip, and was suprised how much I enjoyed being outside, in the cold but beautiful morning!

Karen said...

Thanks Chynna! I'm glad you're enjoying them...that's wonderful news!
Renie - I think I saw a few of the pictures you took...were those the ones you posted on FB? lovely!

Joanne said...

temperature is all a question of perspective. Sunny and cold is much better than gray,dreary cool. Ice skating is like riding a bike - you never really forget how. Wobbly at first, you'll glide by the end of the session. And then those ankles will be killing you the rest of the day. Have fun!

Marie Rearden said...

I would give up chocolate for thirty three degrees right now. Well, not really. :)

I've surprised myself every single-digit day this year by breathing it in. Sounds silly, yes, but the smell of cold wind is a great wake-up before stepping into an office building for nine hours.

Nice post.

Marie, http://marierearden.blogspot.com